This was our first year planting a garden and even though I have a million things to post about right now to catch up I just couldn't go another day with out journaling how much I love my garden. I took these pictures about a month ago when everything was starting to bloom. This was our first tomato we picked and my first squash blossom.
Now I have tomatoes and squash coming out of my ears. As well as cucumbers, spinach & corn. It has been so wonderful to cook with our vegetables and everyone is loving eating it and eating so much healthier. Yesterday I got home from Florida about 4:30 in the afternoon and then we rushed off to a 6:00 p.m. t-ball game for Joey. By the time we got home at 7:00 I had to come up with dinner quick. Scott marinated some chicken and grilled it while I cooked up some squash and sliced some tomatoes and we ate it with the chicken. It was so yummy and healthy.
Tonight we had grilled pork chops and ate some of our corn-on-the-cob and squash and spinach. Not real big fans of the spinach but it was ok. The other project I tackled today was canning some of our tomatoes. When I got home from Florida there was about 30 tomatoes on my kitchen window sill and my mother-in-law said she had about the same amount. So today I stewed them up and then bottled them. I only got 6 quart jars but better than let them go to waste.
It took me most of the day to do the tomatoes so after I cleaned up and started making dinner Jan shows up with a flat of 16 packages of tomatoes that her sister brought to her that needed canned. UGH! and YEAH! Ugh because I'd just spent all day doing it and have lots of work to catch up on tomorrow but yeah for food storage. I decided I had to do them tonight. So after dinner was cleaned up and kids getting ready for bed about 8:00 I started in on the second batch.
I didn't stew these but just diced them and water-bathed them. Scott felt sorry for me I think because he came and helped me and Jackson even helped some too. So now it's 11:30 and I just put in the last batch. I got one pint jar per packages so 16 pints of tomatoes. Not bad. One more hour and I can go to bed and probably dream about tomatoes!
first squash blossom
first tomato we picked next to the cute pot Jackson painted for me and gave me for Mother's Day.



1 comment:
Wow. That sounds so exhausting yet rewarding. I hope you find lots of ways to enjoy them.
Post a Comment