Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Gila Box - No Fun During the Monsoon Season

With everyone being in town visiting we've been looking for things to do and decided to go play in the water down at Gila Box. Every time Scott and I have been there it's been nice a clear and clean and fun to play in but apparently during monsoon it's a different story. The water was so muddy you couldn't see anything under it. The kids didn't seem to mind but the water was swift and got pretty deep.

Jackson and Brandon

You can see here that where JR and Aaron are with the little kids it gets pretty deep and behind them where that rock cliff is it turns into a very deep pool. JR, Aaron and unbeknowst to me even Brandon and my Jackson jumped of those rocks into the water. JR did it several times before the little boys did. I was so nervous though that I wouldn't let Joey and Jake go past where he's standing right here and I kept telling him not to go under the water because you can't see him when he does.

Here you can barely see the top of Jake's head where he went under water on purpose. I told them they'd have to get out if they didn't stop and Scott who was standing next to me on the shore said leave them alone and let them play. So I left him in charge and went back up to the picnic area to eat my lunch. Not soon after everyone starting walking up saying Joey got swept away and Scott had to dive in after him to save him. Cell phone, wallet, clothes and all!
This is what he looked like when he came back minus a shoe as well. Later though, amazingly enough Aaron was getting out of the water and just happened to step in the same exact foot print that Scott had stepped into when he jumped in after Joey and what did he find but Scott's shoe implanted into the mud. Scott said he was never worried and could see Joey the whole time even though he was being swept under the water the whole way. YEAH RIGHT!!! So, besides the new cell phone he had to buy I guess we got off lucky.

This is the boys covered in mud when they were finished. When you ask Joey if he had fun at the Gila Box he says no because he drowned. He said it was very dark under the water. Crazy kids! When will they learn to listen to their mother!!


1 comment:

Rick-n-Christa-n-CJ-n-Rigin said...

Scary! I'm glad everyone survived ok. However, it looked like great fun!